sexta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2007

The Carol Connelly Effect

CAROL: Melvin, pay me a compliment... I need one and quick... You have no idea how much what you said just hurt my feelings.
MELVIN (really pissed, mutters) : That monominute somebody gets that you need them they threaten to go away. Never fails.
CAROL: That's not a compliment, Melvin...That's just trying to sound smart so I feel stupid... A compliment is something nice about somebody else... Now or never.
MELVIN: Okay. (He waves her down).
CAROL: (sitting) And mean it...
MELVIN: Can we order first?
She thinks and then nods. The waiter is across the room. This does not stop Melvin.
MELVIN (calling) : Two crab dinners and pitcher of cold beer. (to Carol) Baked or fries?
CAROL:Fries.
MELVIN (calling):One baked -- one fries.
STARTLED WAITER (shouting back): I'll tell your waiter.
MELVIN (to Carol): Okay, I got a real great compliment for you and it's true.
CAROL: I am so afraid you're about to say something awful...
MELVIN: Don't be pessimistic. It's not your style. Okay... Here I goes... Clearly a mistake. (this is hell for him) I have this -- what? Ailment... And my doctor -- a shrink... who I used to see all the time... he says 50 or 60 percent of the time a pill can really help. I hate pills. Very dangerous things, pills. "Hate," I am using the word "hate" about pills. My compliment is that when you came to my house that time and told me how you'd never -- well, you were there, you know... The next morning I started taking these pills.
CAROL (a little confused): I don't quite get how that's a compliment for me.
Amazing that something in Melvin rises to the occasion -- so that he uncharacteristically looks at her directly -- then:

MELVIN: You make me want to be a better man.

"As Good As It Gets", 1997

Sem comentários: